Accessing the Service
Kids Care is available for children ages 13 and under (or older children with special needs up to the age of 25 who cannot be left alone).
Faculty and Staff: Any regular faculty or staff member who is affiliated with the U-M Ann Arbor, or Dearborn campus, as well as UMHS may use the program. Faculty or staff must have at least a half-time appointment and be benefits eligible in order to participate in our subsidized Kids Kare program. Foster parents are able to register as long as they are licensed by the state to provide foster care.
NOTE: U-M Flint faculty and staff are eligible to register, however Safe at Home DOES NOT provide service in Genesee county. If you work at U-M Flint but live in one of the counties listed below, you are able to access the service.
Students: Full or half-time students (graduate or undergraduate) on the Ann Arbor campus ONLY are eligible.
If both parents are affiliated with the University, only one may be registered. Parents affiliated with the University and living in separate households (e.g. in the case of divorce or separation), can each register.
Grandparents: Eligible to register if the child resides in their home.
Under what circumstances could my request for care be turned down?
There are limits to service availability.
- The service is not available during snow days and school holidays.
- Care is not available for children who have contagious conditions such as head lice.
- Care is not available for infants under the age of 6 weeks.
- There are a limited number of caregivers. During peak flu season, for example, there may not be enough caregivers to fill all requests.
- Requests for care at unique hours, such as afternoon shifts, or in locations only partially served, are contingent upon caregiver availability in each instance.
- If payment for previous service is outstanding, your request may be turned down.
Safe at Home provides full service in the following counties:
Service is based on caregiver availability in the following counties:
You must be registered as a Kids Kare user through the Work/Life Resource Center (see "Registration Procedure” for details).