Accessing the Service - Service Eligibility
The Kids Care at home service is available for children ages 13 and under (or older children with special needs up to the age of 25 who cannot be left alone).
U-M Faculty and Staff: Any regular faculty or staff member who is currently affiliated with the U-M Ann Arbor, UMHS, U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint are eligible to register (see list of serviced Michigan counties, below).
Faculty or staff must have at least a half-time appointment and be benefits-eligible in order to access subsidized (if eligible) Kids Kare service. Foster parents are able to register as long as they are licensed by the state to provide foster care. Grandparents are eligible as long as the child resides in their home.
U-M Students: Full or half-time students (graduate or undergraduate) on the Ann Arbor campus ONLY are eligible.
If both parents are affiliated with U-M and living in the same household, only one may be registered. If both parents are affiliated with U-M and living in separate households (e.g., in the case of divorce/separation), can each register.
Under what circumstances could my request for care be turned down?
(there are limits to service availability):
- Priority will be given to pre-registered parents/guardians. We encourage you to pre-register, even if you are not sure that you will need service during the year.
- Caregivers are dispatched on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority being given to mildly ill children when their parents need to be at work/on campus, rather than requests for back-up care (i.e. regular child care unavailable).
- Care is not available for school/summer camp closings, school holidays, or snow days.
- There are a limited number of available caregivers. During peak flu season or other periods of unusually-high request volumes, there may not be enough caregivers to fill all requests.
- Care may not be available during times of severe weather conditions that make travel hazardous.
- Care is not available for children who have contagious conditions (e.g. head lice).
- Care is not available for infants under the age of 6 weeks.
- Requests for care at unique hours, such as afternoon shifts, or in locations only partially served, are contingent upon caregiver availability in each instance.
- Clients who fail to make required service payments for previous care will not be eligible for service until payment is received in full.
Safe at Home provides service in the following counties:
Safe at Home provides limited service in the following counties: