Leave of Absence Information
The University offers a variety of leaves of absence for those who need time to attend to situations in their personal lives. Leaves of Absence are granted for the following reasons:
- Care for a newborn or newly adopted child
- Care for a seriously ill family member
- Employee's personal medical condition
- Employee's military service
- Employee's child, spouse or parent is called to active duty
- Employee's care for covered service member with serious injury or illness
- Employee's education
- Employee's government service
- Employee's personal reasons
- Employee's long-term disability
- Employees holding seasonal appointments are eligible for a Seasonal Leave of Absence
In this section, you will find links to various policies, including family and medical leave, and leave for birth of a child.
Leaves of Absence Toolkit
The Leaves of Absence Toolkit provides information and resources to help staff and supervisors with Leaves of Absence.
Family Medical Leave Act
Leaves of Absence Standard Practice Guide
Sick Time Pay
Leaves of Absence (medical/child care)
Tenure Clock Stoppage (for faculty)
Modified Duties Policy (for faculty)
For more information or questions specific to your situation:
Campus staff: Contact your unit HR Representative, or Staff HR at hr.umich.edu/staffhr or call (734) 763-2387.
Health System Staff: Contact your unit HR Representative, or Health System HR at (734) 647-5538 then press #2.
Flint Campus Staff: Contact your unit HR Representative at (810) 762-3150.
Dearborn Campus Staff: Contact your unit HR Representative at (313) 593-5484.
Faculty: Visit the Provost Office’s Family Friendly webpage at
or contact Academic HR at (734) 763-8938.